An official transcript is one that has been received directly from the issuing institution. It must bear the institution's stamp/seal, date, and appropriate signature. Transcripts that do not meet these requirements will not be considered official and will be routinely rejected for any permanent use.

Unofficial transcripts are records that may have been in the hands of the student, such as student copy transcripts, grade reports, diplomas, or graduation lists. These are not official documents.

Holt High School does not retain copies of diplomas and is unable to provide this information to previous students. Students requiring verification of high school graduation may request a transcript following the instructions below.

Parchment Transcript Request 

If you are a current 12th grade student, requests may be submitted as follows:

All transcripts are sent via Parchment. The blue button on the top of this page that states "order my transcript" will take you directly to Holt's Parchment portal.  Sign up for an account and the North Campus office staff will send your transcript electronically to Parchment within a few days!  If you have an earlier deadline, please contact us and we will assist you).
If you are having problems, contact Lindsay Schaeff.

If you are a current 9th - 11th grade student, requests may be submitted in the following ways:

  • Create an account with Parchment. Sign up for an account and the High School office staff will send them electronically to Parchment within a few days! Submit a written request in the Main Campus Counseling Office
  • Fax to:  (517) 699-3451  Attn: Counseling Office 
  • Mail your request to:

Attn: Counseling Office
Holt High School - Main Campus
5885 W. Holt Rd.
Holt, MI  48842

If you are a former Holt Public Schools student/graduate (including Holt Central, former Adult Ed. EDTREK graduate, etc.) requests may be submitted in any of the following ways:

Parchment Transcript Request

Transcripts must be requested by the former student only. If you have any questions regarding this process, please call 517-694-7118.

Please note: If you require a copy of your GED transcripts, you may contact:
GED Testing Service online or by telephone at 1-888-906-4031.